Monday, February 9, 2015

Pew Survey Results: Teachers' Technology Use

     After reading the Pew Survey Results I have a lot more insight into today's middle and high schools. Having spent no time recently in middle or high schools (because my decision to become a teacher was a recent one) I am surprised to learn how much technology is entwined into education below college level.  I remember the boxy television on the rolling cart and a computer lab full of big, bulky computers. I was surprised that students now access (79%) as well as submit (76%) their assignments online (whereas I feel like a lot of my work was done on paper). I was not surprised to learn that wealthier school districts have better access to technology and more education on how to use it properly. I can understand why some of these teachers would feel that this is leading to disparities between schools and students, and also to a widening of the educational gap (56%).

      In comparison to the respondents in this survey I would  'rate' myself as being tech-savy. However, I would also say I can side with the teachers who are less willing to learn/conform to new technologies. The artist in me prefers everything to be on paper and hands on. As much as I know technology is incredible, I also have a strong attachment to old traditions. This is my weakness but I am actively trying to keep up with technology. Having gone to school for Graphic Design I used technology constantly. This was a contributing factor to why I would consider myself tech-savy.

      In my experience I have noticed myself being more tech-savy than some teachers who are significantly older than me, especially in some of my design classes. I have also seen my peers struggle with getting work done because they didn't have the proper technology at home. The information and statistics in this survey seem very reasonable judging by what I see in my educational experience.

9 comments:

  1. Paige,
    When to use and not use technology to accomplish educational goals is something that many teachers struggle with on a daily basis. Given your content area, and its hands-on nature, it may not be feasible to hand over control to a computer. I really believe that technology use depends on context. I feel that teachers should not be using the “latest and greatest” just because it is there. Rather, they need to consider the advantages and disadvantages to using technology and always consider, will it make a difference in student learning?

    But, there are so many wonderful and enriching opportunities to use tech in art education. Virtual museum tours, YouTube videos of techniques, as well as a multitude of web resources can help you enjoy the best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Professor Jusinski, I agree that we should not use the latest and greatest technology just because it is available to us. We must incorporate it into the lesson plan in order to get the information across in the most sufficient way possible. I really like your idea of using Youtube to for virtual web tours and for techniques. There have been many art classes I've taken that required the use of technology: powerpoints, lessons, demos and for finding inspiration. Yes art is a very hands on subject, but as you said technology can be helpful to teach it!

      Delete
  2. For the most part I agree with you Paige. I like to believe I am tech-savy as well, but I still like using paper and old fashion methods. I second professor Jusinski, because we both have content areas where we are hands on. We have the luxury of deciding when to incorporate technology, or when we should just roll up our sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, physical education and art are two very hands on subjects! As Professor Jusinski said, we of course can still incorporate technology into our lessons. I am also glad to learn I am not the only one that feels a little old fashioned in these technological times!

      Delete
    2. You are not alone! Some times I feel I have an old soul. However, we are fortunate to have the option. When we want to be modern technology is there; when we want to be creative we can pull out a pen and paper. Who we are works in our favor ;).

      Delete
  3. Thats the beauty of what our content areas. Like you guys said we can still be hands on, but there are so many options technology wise we can use in order to bring more light to some lessons or activities within our content areas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Paige,

    First and foremost, I very much liked your reflection on the survey. As you know, I am also an artist and very affluent in digital mediums. I agree with keeping old traditions as much as I have adapted to the new artists' age (digital works). It would be hard to integrate specific art technologies, but like you said, hands on art is the best kind. I find it comical that you as a student would have to walk your professor through certain aspects of technology, very odd, but makes for a funny story nonetheless.

    Thank you for sharing and for allowing me to comment on your post!

    ReplyDelete